In developed countries, we ask, “Where have all the leaders gone?”
The race is on – September 2010 The Theatre Board initiates a Cultural Leadership Program, which aims to “support Oz organisations to deliver a range of activities and programs that targets the development of leadership skills and the distribution of leadership, within the theatre sector”
The Board states that: Cultural Leadership is inspiring, building, sustaining.
And that, ‘a cultural leader is the driving force behind the creation and pursuit of a set of artistic, organisational or sector goals. Developing cultural leadership skills is about building individuals and organisations capacity to:
• Efectively lead colleagues and/or sector areas through extended periods of experimentation and growth
• To think and work strategically toward long-term goals
• To manage, motivate and inspire colleagues
• To develop fortitude and problem-solving skills in the face of adversity
• To be fnancially resourceful and responsible
• To understand, analyse and respond to the complexities of the Australian theatre scene and its relationship with broader communities.
So here we are, with 5 young women from the Circus & Physical Theatre industry in Victoria, ready to spend a year being mentored by present cultural leaders, attending conferences, workshops and performances, and blogging about their experiences along the way!